If your child is traveling alone for the first time and you are worried about his safety and how he is going to manage things, book his flight with Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines. Making your child’s booking with accompanied minor policy, you not only get sure about their safe travel. Along with that, they also take care of the child from the time he is left at the airport till the time a registered adult picks him up. If you want to know about this policy in detail, read the article till the end.
Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines
American Airlines offers many services to their best. Along with all these services, the airline provides a simple procedure for passengers traveling with children. American Airlines, like other carriers, in the market, permits minors to travel on domestic and international flights, although with some restrictions.
With American Airlines, any kid who is under the age of 18 can travel with this policy. However, visitors must present proof of age, such as a birth certificate. Along with that, each traveler is allowed only one carry-on diaper bag with each child.
Eligible Age Group of Unaccompanied Minor Policy
Any child who is under the age of 17 is eligible for Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines policy. However, it is compulsory for any kid between the ages 5 to 14 to buy an unaccompanied minor policy ticket, but this policy is optional for kids between 15 and 17. If you are sure that your kid can travel without a parent or a guardian without the assistance of the airline, he can get a basic fare ticket.
Services Under Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines
There are many services that American Airlines provide under their unaccompanied minor policy. Let’s have a look at them.
- The airline assists you with the kid from the time you drop him at the airport.
- Once the flight lands, the airline staff escorts the child to a person authorized by the parent who will come to pick him up.
- If your child has to travel with connection flights, he can only lounge in airline hub cities.
- Children traveling with this policy can board early only the flight so that they get comfortable with the staff.
- Children between 5 to 7 are not allowed to travel with connecting flights.
- According to this policy, an adult who is closely related to the child has to drop him at the airport. Along with that, they also have to fill some forms and finish the check-in procedure for the kid.
- If the child is traveling on a domestic flight, they have to reach the airport at least 2 hours before the departure time, and for international travels, they have to be there 3 hours before the flight departs.
What documents are required at the check-in counter on American Airlines?
American Airlines suggest that passengers arrive at least two hours before the scheduled flight departure. Moreover, children flying alone cannot do online flight check-in or at the kiosk.
You must submit an online unaccompanied minors American Airlines application and necessary documents per the rules. Moreover, your child has to keep the form safely till reaching the final destination.
Let’s have a look at the documents parents or guardians need to provide at the check-in counters.
- A birth certificate is issued by the government to prove the child’s age.
- A valid phone number so that the airline can contact you when required.
- Moreover, parents’ photo ID cards with their current address details.
- The name, address, and contact number of an adult passenger meeting the child at the final destination.
Note: After your child checks in, the representative will give you a security pass so you can take the child to the gate.
What happens when a child flies outside the US on American Airlines?
Based on the unaccompanied minors American Airlines guidelines, you cannot escort your child through security in some airports. However, if you do so, an executive will take your kid to the gate and stay with them till your flight departs.
In addition, kids of 18 years need to have a Letter of Consent to fly internationally without both parents. Some countries may also have an additional set of restrictions for kids traveling with guardians or as minors.
How To Book An Unaccompanied Minor Flight?
You can’t book an unaccompanied minor ticket at American Airlines website. You need to head to their office or call their customer care number and make the reservations. The unaccompanied minor services number of American Airlines is 1-888-978-0366.
Unaccompanied Minor check-in
American Airlines’ unaccompanied minor policy requires that a parent or a local guardian fill out a form before flying. Moreover, the process requires them to submit customs and immigration documents. As per the policy, children between 5 to 7 years may travel on non-stop or direct flights. However, they may not be traveling on connecting flights or on a certain route.
Here are the following documents that you need to submit to check-in for minors
- A passport or a valid birth certificate.
- Parents have to submit a photo ID card issued by the government with the current address at the departure airport.
- Also, they need to give the name, address, and contact number at the arrival airport.
Guidelines on Obtaining a Boarding Pass for Unaccompanied Minors on American Airlines
- Parents or guardians must accompany the kid to the departure gate and stay until the flight takes off.
- Moreover, they have to inform the gate agent that the kid will be flying on the flight under minor travel.
- A staff member from the team will assist the minor to board early.
- The crew members will inform the child about the aircraft’s safety and measures before flying.
- The gate agent will tell you the exact time when flights will take off.
Restrictions on Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines
There are certain restrictions on the itinerary of the minor. American Airlines doesn’t let minor travel under the following itinerary circumstances:
- If the itinerary includes a connecting flight of another carrier. This includes one world as well as codeshare partners.
- In case the itinerary involves a connecting flight for which the minor needs to be taken to another airport from the one where the flight lands.
- He will not be allowed to travel if he has booked a connecting flight that is the last flight of the day.
- Along with that, if the connecting flight takes off overnight, American airlines do not allow the minor on their carrier.
Other Applicable Restrictions on American Airlines’ Unaccompanied Minor Travel
- Unaccompanied minors cannot fly alone on a connecting flight or Oneworld and codeshare partners.
- Overnight connecting flights are not applicable for unaccompanied minor travel unless it’s the only operating flight.
- In addition, you cannot fly on the last flight of the day from the final connection city.
- No kid can fly on the ground or co-terminal connecting flight. Moreover, the airline will transport the child from one to another local airport.
Unaccompanied Minors American Airlines is one of the best services they offer. Although it’s a bit expensive, their services at that price are worth every penny. Your child will be completely safe, and flight attendants ensure that they do not experience any discomfort throughout their journey. They also take care of the fact that the person who is going to pick up the child has been registered by the child’s parent, who is going to drop. If his name and number are not filled in the unaccompanied minor services form, they do not let anyone take the child outside the airport.
What Happens During the Trip’s Arrival and Pick-up at American Airlines?
Kids go through a verification process during or after the trip on making an American Airlines booking for unaccompanied minors.
For instance, let’s have a look
During the Trip
- A crew member will check the minor from time to time and keep a check on the child’s safety.
- In addition, the team will escort the child to the airport gate after landing.
Arrival and Pick-up at the Airport
- The person who has to pick the child up at the airport must reach before the child’s flight landing.
- They must bring a photo ID card issued by the government.
- In addition, obtain a security pass after completing the photo verification and meet your child at the gate.
- Moreover, you must reach the airport two hours before departure on domestic flights and three hours for international trips.
American Airlines FAQs
See More American Airlines Posts:
- American Airlines Book Flight
- American Airlines Español
- Talk To A Person At American Airlines
- American Airlines Cancellation Policy
- American Airlines Student Discount
- British Airways Vs American Airlines
- American Airlines Travel Agent
- American Airlines Vacations
- Services of American Airlines Vacations Travel Agent