United Airlines Cancellation Policy
Have you ever cancelled your United Airlines ticket while traveling somewhere? If so, you must be knowing the flight change policies of United Airlines. Changing or canceling flights is not a process that everyone is comfortable doing. There is no such person who would like to cancel their flight, especially when they are heading for a vacation. But at times, situations make you bound to take such decisions where you need to cancel a flight, whether you want to or not. Thus, each and every person must be well aware of the United Airlines cancellation policy so that you don’t end up paying more in the process.
The United Airlines tickets cancellation policy hugely depends on the category of ticket that you had purchased while booking the flight. When a situation arises, where you need to cancel your reservation, you will be entitled to receive a full refund of the amount you have spent in booking the flight ticket. Depending on the type of ticket, you might also get a partial refund or at times no money at all.
Thus, it is very important to find out and read the cancellation policy set by the United Airlines. Once you thoroughly understand the United Airlines flight cancellation policy that is associated with the fare you are going to book, then only proceed with the booking.
What are flight delays and Cancellation?
According to the United Airlines flight cancellation policy, your flights can be cancelled or delayed due to certain unpredictable situations like air traffic control problems, bad weather and mechanical issues. Whenever any such situation like any delay or cancellation occurs, the airline will do its best to provide full safety to its passengers.
If your flight gets canceled by the airline, then
- You will receive a refund from the United Airlines reservations official website.
- The compensation that you receive will entirely depend on the type of situation due to which the flight got cancelled.
- The airlines will also give you the food vouchers if your flight got canceled due to bad weather, air traffic control or any other unavoidable circumstances.
- You will also be eligible to get the discounted rates at nearby hotels.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy for Cancel Ticket?
You can take a look at the United Airlines flight ticket cancellation policy mentioned below in detail.
|Ticket Type||Cancellation Fee|
|Basic Economy||Not permitted|
|Non-Refundable||$200 for domestic flights and up to $400 for international flights depending on fare class|
|Award Ticket||Varies (see category)|
24-Hour Flexible Booking Policy
According to the United Airlines 24-hour flexible booking policy, a passenger is eligible to get a full refund of the fare if they cancel the ticket within 24 hours of booking. Suppose you have booked a flight with United Airlines at 8 p.m, you are liable to get a full refund if you cancel the ticket before the clock strikes 8 again the next day. According to this policy, you can also make changes in your flight itinerary within 24 hours of booking without paying a fee.
If you have purchased a United Airlines refundable ticket, you have the right to cancel your flight at any moment sans paying any fee. Buying a refundable ticket also gives you the facility to get a full refund of the original ticket fare. You should also know that refundable tickets are much more expensive than the non-refundable ones. The advantage of booking a refundable air ticket is that you can at least stay in peace that even if your flight gets canceled, you will get back all your money. You need to wait for seven days to get a refund.
|Cancel Fee||General Member||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum||Premier 1K|
|Canceling with redeposit 31 or more days before departure||$0||$0||$0||$0||$0|
|Canceling a U.S. flight with miles 30 or fewer days before departure||$125||$100||$75||$50||$0|
|Canceling international tickets that do not originate in the U.S. 30 or fewer days before departure||$125||$100||$75||$50||$0|
According to Frommer’s, the U.S. Department of Transportation has regulated a policy that the money you have spent on buying the ticket will be credited to your account by the airlines within seven days of receiving an application for a refund.
If you purchase a non-refundable United Airlines ticket, you are not eligible to get any refund on cancelling your flight.You can use the money against a new ticket but you have to pay a fee for this change ranging between $50 and $150, at the time of publication. The amount that you have to pay depends on the destination you have chosen to fly and the type of change you are making.
According to the United Airlines cancellation refund policy, you are eligible for a refund when you cancel your flight due to some unforeseen events like the death of a traveling companion or an immediate family member, or jury duty. During such unpredictable situations, you need to make an application to issue your refund by paying a processing fee of $50 at the time of publication.
Thus, the next time you book a flight, keep in mind the United Airlines cancellation policy so that your money does not go in waste if you have to cancel your flight.
United Airlines Cancellation Policy (FAQs)
1. What is United Airlines Cancellation policy?
According to United Airlines Cancellation policy:
- A customer can cancel their ticket within 24 hours after booking to avoid a cancellation fee according to United Airlines cancellation policy. They will charge you a cancellation fee once these 24 hours have passed, but this can be avoided if you purchase a refundable ticket.
- You will be charged a cancellation fee once these 24 hours have passed, but this can be avoided if you purchase a refundable ticket.
- When it came to ticket cancellation, United Airlines reservations divided tickets into two classes. There are two types of refunds: refundable and non-refundable.
- A refundable ticket can be canceled at any time, according to United cancellation policy, and the consumer will receive a full refund without any cancellation fees.
- When it comes to non-refundable tickets, customers have only 24 hours from the time of purchase to cancel. If they exceed that period, they must pay a cancellation fee of approximately $200 depending on their destination; the consumer will not receive a refund, but he may use the money to book a new ticket.
- United Airlines cancellation policy only applies to tickets purchased directly from the United Airlines website, customer service centers, and ticket offices.
- If a consumer uses a United gift certificate to purchase a ticket, the refund is issued in an electronic travel voucher.
- If a customer wants to cancel their flight on the day of departure, they must pay a cancellation fee, whether refundable or nonrefundable, according to United cancellation policy.
2. How does United Airlines Cancellation policy function?
- You have up to 24 hours before the scheduled flight departure to cancel your trip. United will reimburse your purchase if you cancel your reservation, although it may keep 10% of the fare. Promotional fares are exempt from the Right of Withdrawal, therefore.
3. Can I cancel United Airlines for free within 24 hours?
- A consumer can cancel their ticket within 24 hours after booking to avoid a cancellation fee, according to United Airlines’ cancellation policy. You will be charged a cancellation fee once these 24 hours have passed, but this can be avoided if you purchase a refundable ticket.
4. Can I cancel a United Airlines nonrefundable ticket?
You can cancel your flights and save the value of the unused portion of the ticket as a future trip credit if your plans change and you don’t want to rearrange your itinerary right away. Future flight credit should be utilized within twelve months from the date your original ticket was issued for most tickets. Future flight credits will be valid until December 31, 2022, if administered period before December 31, 2021. Tickets that have been partially used, regardless of the issue date, are valid for one year from the day of departure. Future flight credits are non-transferable and will expire with no value.
5. How can I cancel the United Airlines ticket?
You can cancel your travel and reschedule on a later date with the following steps:
- Select “My travels” on united.com and fill out the form.
- Choose “Cancel flight” from the drop-down menu.
- Confirm that your flight has been canceled.
- When you return to the reservation to shop for new flights, select “Use Future Flight Credit” to put the credit for the flight.
6. What is United Airlines Cancellation Fee?
United Airlines may deduct $50 or up to 10% of the total fare if you cancel your reservation. In addition, they will also charge some non-refundable taxes and administrative service charges.
7. How much time does United Airlines take to process the refund?
A refund takes 20 business days to process; however, if the payment is made by credit card, the return takes only seven business days.
8. Can I expect a refund if I cancel my United Airlines Basic Economy ticket?
If you cancel your trip, you will not be reimbursed for your Basic Economy tickets unless the United Airlines 24-hour flexible booking policy allows it.
9. What should I do if my United Airlines flight gets canceled or delayed?
Our automated systems will attempt to confirm you on the next available United Airlines flight if you require rebooking due to a flight delay or cancellation. You’d receive an email or text message with your amended itinerary if you provided your contact information during check-in. More information is available on the Flight Delays and Cancellations page.
10. If there are multiple travelers on the itinerary, can I cancel a booking for one traveler?
Yes, you can. You must divide the reservation to cancel flights for a particular traveler. This will result in creating many distinct bookings, followed by the cancellation of the appropriate reservation. Select the individual cancel option in the travelers’ section of the reservation to divide the reservation.