Does your child need to travel alone for their study? It will be very exciting for him/her as KLM Airlines unaccompanied minor service is designed to ensure your child’s safety, comfort, and required assistance before or during travel. In this blog, you can check out how to arrange travel when your child travels alone. Moreover, you will also be covered by the policy rules, service fee, needed documents, and how unaccompanied minor service works.
Are There Any Age Restrictions For Children Traveling Alone On KLM Flights?
KLM guarantees the safety of the child who is traveling alone by making every possible effort. Moreover, the staff of the airline will look at them while traveling to make sure that they board the right plane and to help them in case of any delays or cancelled flights.
Further, the unaccompanied minors KLM can only travel on direct flights operated by KLM. The flights served by Air France, Delta, and KLM allow kids to travel alone.
For Children Between 5 and 14 Years Old
Parents or guardians must purchase unaccompanied minor services when their child is aged between 5 and 14 without any adult of 18 years old. Along with that, they need to buy an ordinary ticket for their child.
For Children Between 15 and 17
The unaccompanied minor service is not compulsory for children whose age is between the age of 15 and 17. You will be counted as an adult passenger when you do not purchase the minor service at KLM. Moreover, the airline provides complete assistance for the child when the flight is delayed or cancelled, even when they do not buy the unaccompanied minor service.
Note: You must ensure to book the KLM Airlines unaccompanied minor program to ensure attention and care in case of flight delays.
Procedure to Book Flights for Unaccompanied Minors with KLM
You can book a flight for your child through the KLM customer service centre. You can also do it online through the airline’s official website. Ensures that to make the travel arrangements up to 24 hours in advance of the departure of the flight. In addition to this, you can book the unaccompanied minor service through the following ways:
Book KLM Unaccompanied Minor Through Online
Here is how one can book an unaccompanied minor flight ticket using the airline’s main site.
- Open the airline’s official website and then choose the advanced search option.
- Then, modify the number of adults to 0 from 1.
- Choose the number of children who will be traveling as an unaccompanied minor.
- Here, book the flight following the on-screen instructions.
- Further, pay the KLM unaccompanied minor fee along with the airfare at the checkout page.
- Once you complete the booking process, you will have to fill out a KLM minor traveling alone form.
- Keep the attested form at the counter at the airport to complete the KLM check-in process.
Book KLM Unaccompanied Minor Through Online
You can also add the KLM minor traveling alone service using Messenger and WhatsApp when you book a flight online. In addition to this, you can also communicate with customer service for the same.
Highlight of KLM Unaccompanied Minor Rules
The KLM Unaccompanied Minor service is necessary for the children’s aged five up to 14 who are traveling alone or in a different travel class. In addition:
- The airline looks after the children traveling alone frequently on board.
- Children aged 15 up to 18 can travel alone on KLM and Air France flights.
- Moreover, the optional UM Service is available for children from 15 years up to and including 17 years who are traveling alone or traveling in different travel classes.
- Besides, Unaccompanied Minors service is optional for children between 15–17. Children under five years must travel with an adult passenger who is 18 years or older.
- The unaccompanied minor fee is non-refundable.
- In addition, parents/guardians can also rebook the flight tickets when they cancel the flight for their child for any reason.
- The flight purchase must be the parents or guardians of the children while booking the flight tickets.
- Similarly, the needed information you provide to the airline should be correct to facilitate the travel of unaccompanied minors.
- Also, the children’s age proof will be required at the time of check-in. It may include the birth certificate or passport of the child.
- Parents or guardians dropping off or picking up the child should carry their valid government-approved photo id.
- Likewise, the airline only allows unaccompanied minors to travel for only direct flights.
Note: You must escort the child to the departure gate at least 45 minutes prior to the planned departure. They will remain in the airport until the flight is taken off.
Parents or guardians need to bring their child to the check-in desk at the airport up to 2.5 hours prior to the departure. Moreover,
- You must carry a legitimate form of identification for yourself and your child.
- You must have the four printed copies of signed and completed forms that indicate who will drop off and pick up your child at the airport in your absence.
- You can download and print the PDF version of the form or print the completed version.
- The crew member will take care of your child and help the child reach their plane seat before boarding the flight.
- Moreover, the flight attendants will check the complete name of the child.
- Additionally, the children will enjoy access to a special lounge when they have a long layover.
At the Time of Arrival
The assigned crew member will escort the child to the gate of the arrival airport and help to meet the person who will come to pick up the child. That person should have their government-approved photo ID, and it must match the KLM unaccompanied minor application.
How Much does It Cost to Book a KLM Unaccompanied Minor Service?
Parents have to book an adult ticket and pay the service fee when they wish to use the unaccompanied minor service provided by KLM Airlines. The unaccompanied minor service cost is between $150 to $200 for direct flights. A cost of between $250 and $350 applies to the connecting flight. Children ages between 5 to 11 traveling alone need to buy the unaccompanied minor service on nonstop and the direct domestic flights by paying 50 USD per direction.
Further, you must pay the price twice when the booking is for a round-trip reservation. The KLM unaccompanied minor fee may vary for domestic travel, as shown in the below section:
|Direct flight (in USD)||Connecting flight (in USD)|
What Documents Required to Book Your Child on KLM Unaccompanied Minor?
You must visit the KLM check-in counter once you reach the airport. As an unaccompanied minor, the child will acquire a wearable batch on board. The airline agent will make a file in which he keeps all the documents and ID of your child which is used at the time of travel. Parents/guardians need to show the following documents at the time of check-in:
- Legal photo ID like a license of driver or passport.
- Complete address, same as in the ID.
- The contact details of the parents/guardian.
- Four printed copies of the KLM unaccompanied minor form.
- The parent’s travel consent form must also be shown at check-in time.
Hopefully, you have understood all the concepts of KLM Airlines unaccompanied minor policy at the end of the article. However, suppose you have any doubts regarding the same. In that case, you are free to directly connect to KLM customer service, as the airline has a dedicated team of professionals who will always be available to assist you. You can connect to the airline 24/7.