Have you made a flight reservation on Southwest Airlines? Are you aware of the airline’s flight delay and cancellation compensation policy? Travelers can request a Southwest flight delay compensation after a delay of more than three hours and seek assistance anytime.
Flight delays or cancellations are a result of hefty traffic and other unavoidable circumstances. Therefore, some airlines, including Southwest Airlines, provide compensation or a flight replacement to the passengers.
Southwest Airlines features a one-hour policy, which states that if your scheduled flight is one hour late, claim a refund.
Major Highlights of the Southwest Delayed Flight Compensation Policy
You can check out the following rules and regulations when applying for a flight delay or cancellation compensation.
- As per the Southwest delayed flight compensation policy, you are eligible for different forms of compensation for a flight delay or cancellation by 90 minutes.
- The airline will re-accommodate you on another flight operated by Southwest Airlines.
- Moreover, get a travel voucher worth $100, which you can use to book future flights.
- Claim a refund from the official team for the flight you did not board on the departure day.
- Suppose the airline didn’t arrange another flight within two hours of departure. In that case, you can do the following.
- The total value of the travel voucher will increase by $300.
- The team will also put you on standby priority status.
- If the scheduled flight reaches two hours after departure, the voucher’s value will rise to $1350. Also, it includes the fare of the original flight ticket.
How to Claim a Southwest Flight Delay Compensation?
Whenever there is a flight delay or cancellation, you can ask the airline to provide you with compensation. Now you must be thinking about how to claim a Southwest flight delay compensation; follow the below guide.
- First, go to the airline’s official site to claim a flight delay refund.
- Second, select the option “Manage Reservation”.
- Now, fill out a request for a return flight or simply follow the on-screen prompts.
- You have to mention your flight number, last name, and other details.
- Next, wait for a reply from the team after you have requested a refund.
- Call your credit card company and tell them that you have applied for a refund due to late flight arrival.
- To file compensation, fill out the form.
- Submit the necessary documents needed to apply for a flight delay compensation.
- Finally, you can wait for a call from the airline’s customer service team.
Flyers can reach out to a customer service representative at 1 (800) 435-9792 and request a Southwest delayed flight compensation.
How much compensation do you get for a flight delay on Southwest Airlines?
The Southwest compensation for delayed flights depends on the flight length, route, and fare type. Moreover, you can request a refund if your flight is delayed for three or more hours.
To know how much compensation you get for a flight delay on Southwest Airlines, have a look at this.
- The airline initiates compensation of 600€ for trips between Europe and the United States for flights greater than 3500 kilometers. You can get up to 250€ for a more than 1500 km flight.
- Moreover, if your flight length is between 1500 and 3500 km, you can get 400€.
- For flights over 3500 kilometers, you can receive 600€.
What are my rights when Southwest Airlines cancels my Flight?
Southwest Airlines cannot guarantee fixed flight schedules. There may be certain situations like bad weather conditions, strikes, fewer passengers, etc., for which the airline needs to cancel flights.
If the airline cancels a flight, you can request compensation depending on the fare rules. Moreover, cash refunds are not always possible. The airline may give you refunds in the form of travel vouchers or flight credit in the wallet.
- Under EC261, passengers can claim reimbursement if they are told about a flight cancellation less than 14 days before flying.
- Moreover, if the disruption is caused by some controllable and not an extraordinary situation, you are eligible for a refund.
- On the other hand, no refunds shall apply if there is a cancellation due to the following circumstances. It includes airport strikes, medical emergencies, ATC restrictions, or adverse weather conditions.
- If rebooking doesn’t seem ideal, you can still claim Southwest flight delay compensation from the customer service team.
How do I request a Flight delay compensation using the Southwest Airlines mobile app?
Suppose your scheduled flight is delayed, canceled, or overbooked. In that case, you can install the airline’s free mobile app and seek assistance from the team in rebooking.
You can also choose to request a refund for the unused flight portion to your account. After that, make future flight bookings using the travel credit and explore places without paying an additional fee.
Here are the steps that you can follow to request a flight delay compensation using the mobile app on Southwest.
- Firstly, launch the airline’s official mobile app and search for the “Look Up Reservation”.
- Secondly, enter your login details.
- Now, add your last name and flight reference number to see the available refunded amounts.
- Choose the applicable refund and apply the same to the credit card you can use to purchase the flight tickets.
Contact the flight executive to request a Southwest flight delay compensation for a flight delay of more than 90 minutes.
Do you Get Compensation for Flight Cancellations on Southwest Airlines?
Southwest Airlines provides compensation for a flight cancellation a few hours before the scheduled flight departure.
- If your flight is canceled less than 14 days before flying and the airline is responsible for the same, get up to $700.
- Moreover, your flight must have been scheduled to depart from an EU airport to get a refund.
- You are also eligible for a flight replacement in case your travel is important. Request the team at 1 (800) 435-9792 to arrange a flight the next day when the flying conditions are normal.
- In addition, the flights departing EU airports are covered by EC261. In comparison, for flights arriving at EU airports, EC 261 does not cover the flights.
When will You not Get a Refund for a Flight Cancellation on Southwest Airlines?
There are many situations when you cannot claim a refund even if your flight is canceled by the airline. In some cases, the airline might give you cash, a travel voucher, or reward miles after your flight is canceled.
Consequently, one can rebook a flight and reach the final destination as soon as possible with an available seat. Also, technical and mechanical issues are not a part of extraordinary circumstances, so ask for refunds in these cases.
As per the EC 261 guidelines, you will not get compensation for a canceled flight under the following conditions.
- Bad weather like snowstorms or heavy winds
- ATC restrictions
- Airport strikes
- Medical emergency. If a passenger falls sick, they can ask the airline to provide them with compensation.
Southwest Airlines FAQs
See More Southwest Airlines Posts:
- Southwest Airlines Booking
- Southwest Airlines Unaccompanied Minor Policy
- Best Time to Buy Tickets from Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Airlines $29 Flights
- Southwest Airlines Sale $69
- Last Minute Southwest Flights Deals
- Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card
- Southwest Airlines Low Fare Calendar
- Find Southwest Cheap Flight deals
- Southwest Airlines Wanna Get Away Fares
- Southwest Airlines Vacations Deals
- Last Minute Southwest Airlines Deals
- How to Request a Callback on Southwest Airlines?
- Multi-City Flights on Southwest Airlines
- Southwest Reschedule Flight